The story so far….
- Rufus Rankine is headed to an upstart Maze town by the name of Boonville looking for work as a miner. His wife, generally a pain in his side, has spent some of their meager savings on lodgings in Shan Fan nearby till Rufus can call for her.
- Beatrice Gregorson is the lone survivor of the Gregorson mining family still living and operating in Boonville. She runs the family mine although her true drive is to find her father and fiance’s killer
- Ryan Everlocke currently resides in Boonville hiring his skills out as a bounty hunter for Beatrice Gregorson.
- Jesus Godspeed, a lone Hispanic wanderer, journeys to Boonville from Gamorra. Hearing rumors of strange creatures and monsters in a local mine he leapt at the chance to destroy the forces of darkness. Armed with his faith in God, Guardian Angel, and six guns he blows into town….
A chance encounter…..
- Rufus comes to town on a buck board with others looking for work. Accommodating his wife’s tastes he spent the last of his money paying for an upscale hotel in Shan Fan for her to stay at.
- On their way down to Sally’s Beatrice and Ryan encounter the new crew. Beatrice stops to hire a new worker to search for Toothless Pete in the [[Ojos de Gato | Ojos de Gato] They hire Rufus as Jesus enters the scene from the north.
- Jesus engages in some minor conversation with Beatrice and then leaves for the local bar. Following closely behind him the rest of the posse heads to Sally’s down in Miner’s Row for a quick drink and to discuss business.
- At Sally’s Beatrice orders a bottle of cheap whiskey for her employees and goes to a local table. While informing Rufus of the potential dangers a local miner drunkenly proclaims that it’s a fool’s errand and that there’s monsters down there that killed Toothless Pete. Overhearing the word “monsters” Jesus invites himself to the table to offer his services as a monster hunter. Being the impulsive cuss that he is Jesus begins to head toward the mine, prompting the rest of the party to follow closely behind him.
I will follow you in to the dark…..
- As they approach the entrance of the mine a haze comes over the bay causing the sunlight to dim and the mine entrance to appear more foreboding. Realizing that they had left Miner’s Row without a lantern between them the party spends a few minutes searching the foreman’s tent for some. Each posse member finds a lantern and they begin their trek into the bowels of the mine. As the brave posse forges further into the darkness of the empty mine the distant sounds of metal hitting rock can be heard deep within it’s heart.
- Being the headstrong type Jesus leads the group into the mine after studying a surveyor map at the entrance. Getting lost within the mine he leads the party in circles for 2 hours before they come up to a dead end in the mine. Beatrice, the owner of the mine, takes over from this point and does not lose her sense of direction leading the posse to the deepest parts of the mine.
- Leading the party to the depths of the mine in search of Toothless Pete Beatrice sets foot in a puddle of water. Holding her lantern up in front of her the party can now see that the upcoming series of tunnels in the mine have been flooded; the water appears to get deeper the further they go.
A soggy bottom boy….
The steadfast posse wades through the flooded section of the mine coming across a caved-in section. The large wooden beams normally supporting this section of the mine have snapped at the corner allowing the ceiling of the mine to collapse. Holding their lanterns up to peer further ahead all but Jesus notice a pair of human legs bobbing up and down in the water. As Rufus and Ryan make their way toward the body they realize that a piece of the beam landed on it’s torso, pinning it under the water. Getting closer our intrepid heroes recognize Toothless Pete’s clothes on the body; either the beam killed him or he was trapped and drowned when the chamber flooded.
As Rufus and Ryan lift the beam pinning Pete’s body under the pool of salt water the bloated corpse flails, bolting upright and clawing at him/her. (Cognition checks for surprise; don’t forget the Guts check too!) As the waterlogged corpse rises from the pool a small crab bursts through it’s engorged cheek in an explosion of flesh and putrid blood, exposing Pete’s toothless gums. The sudden spurt of thick, blackened blood causes the loose skin of the creature’s cheek to separate at the cheekbone and slither down it’s bulbous neck.
In the ensuing fight Ryan is injured before the corpse of Pete is put back down. Using his knowledge of the occult he shouts, “Aim for the head!” as he squeezes off a round, narrowly missing the abomination. Over the next few seconds each posse member fires off rounds aimed at the creature’s head occasionally striking and eventually blowing it’s jaw off. After running out of ammo in his trusty double-action Peacemaker Jesus attempts to quick draw his single-action Peacemaker, failing miserably and lobbing the fully-loaded pistol at Pete’s chest. With all of his strength Rufus swings his trusty shovel gun, connecting with Pete’s head and popping it like a cherry tomato.
Tommyknocking on Heaven’s Door
Upon turning back to head out of the mine they hear strange noises, the clattering of tools up ahead. Moving further they begin hearing scratching behind them (Cognition vs. Sneak) and the sound of soft fleshy pads thumping lightly on the mine tracks. Suddenly the rock walls around them begin to crumble as a pair of three-foot tall creatures emerge. Standing hunched over as they drag their clawed three-fingered hands behind them. Their revolting, naked, little, grayish bodies barely support the enormous head atop their hunched shoulders. (Guts Check: 7).
As the monsters emerge from the cavern walls Rufus clams up in terror, unable to react to the horrible situation around him. Seeing an opportunity the two beasts attack him however, he is able to fend off their assault. With a quick jerk Beatrice lifts up her trusty walking cane and a rifle round erupts from it’s end, blowing the leg off one of the creature’s attacking Rufus. Hearing noises behind him Jesus whirls around as another one of the creature’s emerges from the floor of the mine and unloads into the beast decimating it. With lighting speed Jesus whirls back around emptying his guns into the two remaining creatures that are assaulting Rufus.